BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Saturday, February 13, 2010

A Tangle of Discourses by Rebecca C. Raby

When I was reading the article A Tangle of Discourses by Rebecca C. Raby, the point of her article was the difference between generations among different women when they are teenagers, and while some are currently teenagers. She interviewed grandmothers and granddaughters and  asked them their opinions of teenagers. If teenagers are good or bad? Raby discusses how adolescents  go through many different changes, which effects how their behavior is towards their parents and others. That is the main point in her article. When Raby was interviewing the teenage girls, she would ask them all kinds of questions about the pressures that they go through, also through their own changes.

I found this song Teenagers by My Chemical Romance. This song explains how some older people may feel about teenagers, just like the grandmothers that Raby interviewed.
I guess our elders can be annoyed with teenagers sometimes, because a lot of the advertisements and media are towards teenagers. That's not necessarily a good thing either. 
I found this great article on teenagers, and how we learn a lot from our teenage years. When Raby was interviewing the grandmothers in her article, one of the grandmothers said that her and the teenagers around now, are from different generations, so teenagers do things differently.
This article also refers back to when we were looking up things for Media Literacy, and how teenagers are influenced by media.
I hope all of our elders don't think that badly of teenagers. We are just from completely generations.

2 comments:

Mindy said...

I think it is easy to view teenagers as "other," but to do this I limit my understanding. I am an older adult who "embraces" this age group; I teach teens and have three of my own. Actually, the oldest is 21, but she is a late bloomer and still acts like a teenager. Adolescents are given a "bad rap" because even my "social problems" in the classroom have elements of good running through them. I just need to be patient, understanding and willing to see beyond the behavior.

Alexa said...

That song is a really good choice to relate to this prompt. I just listened to it after seeing you picked it.